-- Rio offers valuable combination of class-leading 138 horsepower(1) and fuel economy of 40 miles per gallon(2)
-- Models feature Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) and fuel-saving Idle Stop and Go (ISG) technology - a first for the segment
Kia Motors America, Inc. (KMA) today announced pricing for the all-new and completely redesigned 2012 Rio 5-door subcompact hatchback beginning at an impressive $13,600(3) MSRP, while the Rio 5-door A/T starts at $14,700(4) – both lower than the previous generation. The top-of-the-line, sporty SX trim starts under $18,000(4) and offers a plethora of consumer-friendly and upscale features, including stunning 17-inch alloy wheels and class-exclusive LED headlamp and tail light accents, a sport-tuned suspension with larger front brakes, projection headlamps, twin chrome exhaust tips, fog lamps, as well as standard UVO powered by Microsoft®(5) voice-activated infotainment system (expected to be available this fall) with a 4.3-inch color touch screen and rear camera display(6).
With an emphasis on being eco-friendly as well as staying on top of cutting-edge technology, the all-new Rio is the first vehicle to offer ISG technology outside of the hybrid and luxury segments, which helps to improve fuel economy by turning the engine off when the vehicle is not in motion – such as at a stop light or in traffic – and automatically restarting when the driver releases the brake pedal (expected to be available at the beginning of 2012). Also, at the end of its lifespan, 85 percent of the Rio's materials are recyclable, including seat foam material that utilizes 100-percent biodegradable and non-toxic castor oil, which benefits the environment in several ways, including reduced use of petroleum-based products.
Unveiled earlier this year at the 2011 New York International Auto Show, the 2012 Rio 5-door offers critically acclaimed exterior and interior styling along with class-leading horsepower and fuel economy. Equipped with a 1.6-liter GDI four-cylinder engine with the option of either a six-speed manual transmission (LX only) or efficient six-speed automatic, the 2012 Rio is one of only two vehicles in the segment to offer a GDI engine, providing an inviting combination of power and fuel efficiency and achieving class-leading 138 horsepower(7) while maintaining a class-leading fuel economy rating of 30/40 miles per gallon (mpg) (city/highway)(8). With the ISG technology the 2012 Rio will offer consumers an impressive and fuel-sipping 31/40 mpg.
Available in three trims – LX, EX and SX – the 2012 Rio 5-door's exterior design has been completely revamped, offering the same tabbed grille that has become so familiar to the Kia lineup, but slightly slimmed down to connect to the dynamic headlamp design to provide a new twist on the look that includes a bigger air intake to exude a youthful persona. The 2012 Rio also comes better equipped than the previous generation, offering standard air conditioning, electric power steering, an AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio system with USB and auxiliary ports, SiriusXM™ satellite radio with three months complimentary service(9), and a slew of standard safety features, including Electronic Stability Control (ESC), a four-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), Hill-start Assist Control (HAC) and Vehicle Stability Management (VSM).
Design-Led Transformation and Product Line
Kia Motors has undergone a dramatic, design-led transformation, which has been delivering dynamically styled vehicles in several important segments at exactly the right time, contributing to the brand's continued gains in U.S. market share. Kia is poised to continue its momentum and brand growth through design innovation, quality, value, safety features and new technology. Kia's commitment to the U.S. market is represented by its U.S.-based manufacturing facilities in West Point, Georgia – KMMG – which is responsible for the creation of more than 10,000 plant and supplier jobs and added the critically acclaimed Optima midsize sedan(10) to its production line in September. Kia's model year 2012 vehicle line includes the Sorento CUV, Sportage compact CUV, Optima midsize sedan, Optima Hybrid, Soul urban passenger vehicle, Forte compact sedan, Forte 5-door compact hatchback, Forte Koup two-door coupe, all-new Rio and Rio 5-door sub-compacts and Sedona minivan.
(1) Class-leading horsepower claims based on comparisons to 2011 and available 2012 competitors as of September 2011.
(2) Class-leading fuel economy claims for highway based on comparisons to 2011 and available 2012 competitors as of September 2011. EPA fuel economy estimates 30 mpg/city and 40 mpg/hwy for 2012 Rio 5-door. Actual mileage may vary.
(3) Starting price is manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for lowest trim level. MSRP excludes $750 destination and handling fee, title, taxes, license, options and dealer charges. Actual prices set by dealer and may vary.
(4) MSRP excludes $750 destination and handling fee, title, taxes, license, options and dealer charges. Actual prices set by dealer and may vary.
(5) Microsoft is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
(6) The rear-view backup camera is not a substitute for proper and safe backing-up procedures. Always drive safely and use caution when backing up.
(7) Class-leading horsepower claims based on comparisons to 2011 and available 2012 competitors as of September 2011.
(8) Class-leading fuel economy claims for highway based on comparisons to 2011 and available 2012 competitors as of September 2011. EPA fuel economy estimates 30 mpg/city and 40 mpg/hwy for 2012 Rio 5-door. Actual mileage may vary.
(9) Sirius services require subscriptions, sold separately after 3-month trial included with vehicle purchase/lease. Subscriptions governed by SiriusXM Customer Agreement at siriusxm.com© 2011 SiriusXM Radio Inc. Sirius, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of SiriusXM Radio Inc.
(10) Optima Hybrid will not be built at KMMG.
About Kia Motors America
Kia Motors America (KMA) is the marketing and distribution arm of Kia Motors Corporation based in Seoul, South Korea. KMA offers a complete line of vehicles through more than 745 dealers throughout the United States and serves as the "Official Automotive Partner of the NBA." In 2010, KMA recorded its best-ever U.S. sales and 16th consecutive year of increased U.S. market share. Kia is poised to continue its momentum and will continue to build the brand through design innovation, quality, value, safety features and new technologies.
Information about Kia Motors America and its full vehicle lineup is available at its website – www.kia.com. For media information, including photography, visit www.kiamedia.com.